Monday, March 20, 2006

A worth of a thing

A worth of a thing...

Upon further research into this subject of money, I have come across different stories. Wait a minute; I was researching survival sites and this topic came up in a story. Now that I think about it money and survival have been linked often. I will not quote the story but it went something like this.
The man was talking about barter items and he asked what a box of nails was worth. In certain circumstances that box of nails would be worth their weight in gold , since gold would not be worth much, neither would silver. Maybe a trade for a bottle of alcohol or 2 cigarettes or some fresh fish. In a barter trade it depends on what the other person is holding, how badly you need (want) it and what you are willing to give up. If society broke down to the point of no transport trucks were transporting goods and a smoker had no access to nicotine, they may very well trade the box of nails for the a couple of smokes. A person brewing and distilling their own hooch, would gladly trade a bottle of the stuff if they had a leaky roof that needed fixing. I person who caught a whole mess of fish would be willing to part with a couple and the holder of the box of nails could be starving. Does this mean that a bottle of booze = a couple of smokes = a couple of fish? No! Yet under the right circumstances they very well could be. This story illustrates that in a trade or exchange the worth of the item depends on the needs of the two parties trading, therefore the worth of an item is flexible. Money is the same way. Since it is a token of worth and it has no intrinsic value (except as a piece of paper or a bit of metal) it flexes from day to day depending on what millions of transactions say it is worth. That is the simplified version anyway.

Right now I am willing to trade several months of research and hundreds of hours of writing in the form of two books for what? One of my needs are arrows or crossbow bolts and BB's. Well, with the money/credit system in place and still functional, I can have my books available 24 hours a day at www.mjk-private-income.com. A person wanting that valuable information can trade money in the form of digital bits directly into my paypal account. I can turn around and use those bits to ask someone who makes arrows or BB's to send me some and I will transfer some of those bits into their account. Everybody ends up happy.

Till next time...

Michael J. Kaer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home